List of careers where defective colour vision would not necessarily cause a handicap:
- Artist(graphic, commercial, Advertising)
- Bio chemist
- Carpet/lino fitter/planner
- Clothes designer
- Cook or chef
- Cosmetics director (stage/film/TV)
- Dental surgeon and technician
- Dress maker
- Driving instructor
- Driver In public services
- Gardener and landscape gardener
- Gemmologist (e.g. Setting stones, diamonds grader/ grocer)
- Illuminating engineer
- Interior designer/decorator/planner
- Lightning director(state/film, TV)
- Medical doctor
- Pharmacy assistant (counter service)
- Post officer counter assistant
- Salesman/women(fabrics, drapery, yarns, wool, carpets, garments/footwears, china and glass, linen, cosmetics/toiletries, jewellery, confectionery, stationery, storekeeper)
- Telephone switchboard operator
- Theatre/stage props manager
- Veterinary surgeon
Why even today in many careers individuals with CVD are neglected?
It is because although we are in 2018 with booming technological surrounding all around us, yet CVD community in INDIA is considered to be of very low proportion .People aren’t diagnosed earlier when they are at schools, during career selection process where they have wonderful opportunity to change their aspirations, not even at college/higher educational institutes one is being screened and finally not even before taking a job profile, It all exists only at the end stage of selection process in an medical exam qualification process. By the time one with CVD who has been left undiagnosed would have made entire roadmap for his life. What happens for this person? Who is to blame? Is it because of poor analytical management of CVD screening in our country.
Now what happens for the aspirations, emotions of this person????
The solution is to create nation-wide awareness on colour vision deficiency and its impact on careers which colourvision.org.in is committed for doing so and we need all of your support! Let us together save the emotions of many CVD students
GUIDELINES FOR THE SUITABILITY OF COLOUR VISION DEFECTS IN VARIOUS OCCUPATIONS:
(courtesy of J.Voke and Keeler Ltd,1980-Modifications made with respect to Occupations in INDIA).This is not a complete list of all careers.It is recommended that individuals with colour vision deficiency (CVD) chooses a career where colour vision is not critical.